Translate

Monday, June 30, 2014

Anime Blog 47: Code Lyoko, Garage Kids, and CL: Evolution

Code Lyoko
Garage Kids
Code Lyoko: Evolution

Code Lyoko is a 97 episode French anime that I watched Dubbed. Garage Kids is a 1 episode prequel (it was the original idea for the show but was scrapped), and CL: Evolution is a 26 episode part live action sequel (the latter 2 I watched Subbed).

So I'm going to start with Code Lyoko.

I absolutely LOVE this show! I used to watch it all the time when the episodes were first airing on TV. The basic story is that a genius at a boarding school, Jeremie, finds a supercomputer and turns it on. Once the computer is on he discovers an AI female (AKA: Aelita) and learns of an evil AI (XANA) who is trying to take control of, basically, the world from the virtual world of Lyoko. Through interesting circumstances he gains a group of friends (Odd, Ulrich, and Yumi) who, through the use of large scanners, go to Lyoko to fight XANA.

I totally ship UlrichxYumi and JeremiexAelita (FYI)

The only season I wasn't a fan of was the 4th. This season gave the characters new outfits and Yumi's really bugged me. But whatever. I also wasn't a big fan of William in the original series. He made me so angry!

So I'll admit that the art isn't something I'd normally go for (if you've been reading these blogs you understand what I mean) but even with their ridiculously high foreheads, I LOVE THIS SHOW!
(LtoR: Ulrich, Jeremie, Odd, Yumi, Aelita)

Also Code Lyoko has one of my favorite openings!

So Pros and Cons:

Pros:
  • Great story
  • Great opening
  • Awesome Characters
  • AWESOME SHOW!
Cons:
  • Foreheads...
  • William
  • 4th season clothes...(idk just Yumi's eyebrows really...)
So there you have it! Now on to Garage Kids (which'll be short)

Garage Kids was the original concept for Code Lyoko. It became a 1 episode pilot but was then scrapped for what we know as Code Lyoko.

I'm glad it was. The story was darker and all the character personalities were weird. I've only seen it once so I don't remember too much about it but I recall not liking it very much.
Also...the art was almost the same but the Lyoko outfits were...lets just say weird.
 
(LtoR: Odd, Yumi, Ulrich)

SOOOO glad that got fixed!

so pros and cons:
 Pros:
  • It led to Code Lyoko
Cons:
  • Story was weird
  • Weird Lyoko outfits
  • Personalities were creepy
All in all...I wouldn't recommend it...

Code Lyoko: Evolution is the newest installment in the series and serves as a sequel to the original 97 episodes. In this version the Lyoko scenes are still animated but the school scenes are live action. XANA 2.0 has attacked and the Lyoko Warriors must once again fight to stop him. With some new problems along the way (like Laura...if you've seen this then you understand my high dislike of her).
I watched it in French with English subtitles (except episode 5 which is in English...not a fan of the dubbing...they didn't get the original voices back...) and also the last 6 episodes or so for some reason have Hungarian audio with the English subs so I had to watch the video muted while playing the French audio video at the same time (b/c it didn't have subs...argh.)
I honestly expected to hate this season. and at first I wasn't a fan. But by the end I realized that I actually enjoyed the show. I liked William a lot better at least!

So the art has been updated plus the live action cast:
 
(LtoR (inc. the avatars): William, Odd, Aelita, Ulrich, Yumi, Jeremie)
so time for pros and cons:

Pros
  •  Continues a great story
  • I like William more
  • LA isn't all that bad
Cons:
  • Laura
  • Laura
  • Laura
  • Laura
  • Laura
  • (you get it...)
So yeah. If you're a fan of the original I would suggest watching it. I've heard rumors of a second season...we'll see. It definitely left off where one could begin!

Thanks for reading! Until Next Time!

~Kei

No comments:

Post a Comment