Ok so the original FullMetal Alchemist was 51 episodes long and was followed by a movie (titled the Conqueror of Shamballa that also served as the end of the series) and had 5 OVAs. (I, of course, watched it dubbed)
So when I watched FMA for the first time, it was because everyone I know was all like "it's the best thing ever!" So...I watched it. I have to say...I was unimpressed originally. When Ed was fighting at laboratory 5 all I could think was: "why do people like this show? He sucks!" Now, I'll admit that the show did get better...but it still wasn't my favorite. And don't get me started on the crappy ending movie...OMG that SUCKED! The OVAs were cool:
- The chibi party for the end of the movie was friggin adorable! and I loved Hawkeye's speech about "our completely platonic relationship!" (even though I disagree with it XD )
- The Live Action one with Al walking around in Japan was really cool
- The one about the 3 kids in the real world and Ed being their grandpa was cute. Especially because one of the kids in the background looked like a chibi Roy!
- The Alchemists VS. The Humunculi one was pretty cool
- And finally the recap one was a recap...ha!
Also: Vic Mignogna plays Ed, Travis Willingham plays Roy, Colleen Clinkenbeard plays Hawkeye, Caitlin Glass plays Winry, and Kyle Herbert plays Falman :)
Oh...and if you don't know the storyline (the basic one is the same for both series): In a world full of alchemy, 2 boys try to bring their dead mother back to life. But human transmutation is forbidden for a reason: in order to gain something, something of equal value must be lost. Now one brother has a fake leg and arm, while the other's soul is bonded to a suit of armor to keep him alive. The boys are searching for a way to return to their original bodies and believe that the philosopher's stone will do just that. (The story in it's most basic form :D )
- Really good storyline
- Roy Mustang
- Good Voice Acting
- Good mix of action and humor
- I personally didn't like Ed's fighting style near the beginning of the series...
- Doesn't follow the manga after meeting Greed...
- Gets really weird
- That movie...
FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ok so Brotherhood was 64 episodes long and had a movie and 4 OVAs. (Still watched it dubbed!)
I liked this series a whole lot more! The show made more sense to me and I really felt that Ed's fighting was much better and more believable. There of course were huge changes from the original series (because of course the original was filler) but they all made sense to me. And the ending was much much better (no spoilers!)--well except that mustache thing...I didn't like that...
The movie was a bit pointless honestly and I was really disappointed with the way they portrayed Roy in it.
The OVAs were cool though:
- There was one describing Izumi's time on Brigg's mountain
- One with a blind alchemist that Ed and Al meet...that one was creepy...and sad.
- Roy's story from the Ishbal war
- And finally the story of why Riza grew out her hair and why Winry pierced her ears (my fave!)
Art! It didn't change too much till the end of Brotherhood.
- Same great cast
- Better story
- Roy (still!)
- Much better fighting
- Still a good mix of action and humor
- I got nothing!
Thanks for reading and see you next time!