Translate

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Anime Blog 38: Cardcaptor Sakura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardcaptor_Sakura

Ok...so Cardcaptor Sakura is a 70 episode Shojo with 3 OVAs and 2 Movies. AND OMG SO KAWAII! (...I watched all of it subbed...no English voices here!)

So the story is simple. A young girl named Sakura accidentally lets these magical cards out of their book, in the first half of the show Sakura has to collect the cards (which transform and cause problems) and in the second half of the show Sakura has to transform the cards using her own magical powers. There is of course a rival for card collection named Syaoran who gets some of the cards as well (in the first half). Syaoran and Sakura's relationship changes from rivals to love interest over the course of the show and is actually important to the plot :D

This show was just so cute! I love Tomoyo (Sakura's friend who creates all her costumes and films her adventures) and I love Toya (Sakura's brother) just because he has jobs EVERYWHERE! And I of course love Yukito (but telling you why would be spoilers!) and even though I didn't like Meilin at first I grew to like her by the end. I also love the relationships of Sakura's classmates: for instance Yamazaki always lies and his girlfriend Chiharu has to beat him up to get his lies to stop. And of course I love the comparison between Fujitaka and Nadeshiko (Sakura's parents) and Rika and Terada-sensei. (Explanation: Fujitaka was Nadeshiko's teacher before they got married when Nadeshiko was 16 and Rika is in love with Terada-sensei...idk if he knows or not XD)

**so I'm writing so much on this because I just finished it 5 minutes ago!**
The OVAs were video diaries by Tomoyo and they were really cute: turns out Tomoyo created the original opening!
The first movie was pretty good, it was a side story about a woman who wanted to get revenge on Clow Reed and mistook Sakura for him because she has the Clow Cards.  (AKA a spinoff!)
The second movie was a sequel to the series introducing a sealed card (so there were actually 53 not 52!) and bringing Syaoran back to Japan. It was really good, the ending decided to play a prank. (I try not to spoil!) and let me just throw out there: since I didn't see him catch her I'm going to assume she fell! (jkjk)

So...art! (I'm gonna challenge myself with this pic!)
 
(Back Row: (L-R) Sonomi (Tomoyo's mom), Mizuki-sensei, Fujitaka (Sakura's dad), Next row down: Rika, Chiharu, Yamazaki with Naoko in front of him, Akizuki (Ruby Moon), Toya; Next row: Yukito with Syaoran in front of him, Kero-chan (the yellow lion), Sakura, Tomoyo, Meilin; Front Bottom: Eriol and Spinal Moon)
Wow...I hope y'all can follow that...it was a little hard because Naoko isn't in a row and Akizuki's head in in the back row but she's standing in the one next to Toya...and Syaoran just had to be sitting...but oh well. Hopefully y'all got it!

The art is just so cute!
So time for pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Magical girl!
  • SakuraXSyaoran (if you're a CLAMP fan you understand!)
  • Clow Cards!
  • Kawaii art
  • Adorable story
Cons:
  • Annoying "villans" (AKA: Hiiragizawa)
  • Long...(well for me...ish)
  • Takes you-know-who forever to tell the other you-know-who how they feel about them! (if you can follow that logic!)
Overall this was the most adorable anime I've watched in quite a while. EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH IT! Well, thanks for reading!

Until next time,

~Kei

No comments:

Post a Comment